CRYPTOCURRENCY

Monday 12 December 2016

Remy Ma stuns on the cover of Paper magazine, talks about women supporting each other

Rapper Remy Ma who was released from jail after serving six years in jail for allegedly shooting Makeeda Barnes-Joseph, was featured on the cover of Paper Magazine where she talked about the importance of women supporting each other in various endeavours. She said,

"It's sad to say, but I'm gonna say it: I don't feel like much has changed for women in hip-hop, not only since I was in prison, but since I started in the game. 
There's still so much discord between females in the game, whether it's spoken or unspoken. You can see it in the fact that no one's working together… People make it seem like there can only be one woman in hip-hop. And with women, we are so amazing in our ability to transform and wear so many hats, it still seems so crazy to me.
When I look at the women in my profession, I see we are all different. And when I say different -- I mean totally different. So, the fact that society and the industry itself pits us against each other, it's really fucked up. Society can only do so much. It may have told you as a woman you are less than a man or you're supposed to be cooking or whatever, but you don't have to take everything society throws at you and live that way. 
It's acquired thinking. I'm not saying don't take care of your man, because I do that, too, but I like to think of it this way: You know on the airplane when they tell you in the event of an emergency to put your mask on first? I'm a big believer in putting your mask on first. I think a lot of women have caused the whole 'women are not equal' nonsense to continue because they don't think of themselves first.
Obviously prison is horrible, but something I really noticed being around all these women was that it brings out a kind of sisterhood. In a lot of ways, it was comforting to be around all these other females because we had each other's backs. We were teaching each other things, we were supporting each other, we were watching out for one another. It is possible for women to stick together.
I have seen the power of women working together. If women worked together the way they do at the lowest of lows, like they do in prison, I'm telling you, we would be amazing -- guys wouldn't be in charge of shit!


No comments:

Post a Comment